A spontaneous trip in November to Cairns saw me visiting and staying at the beautiful DoubleTree by Hilton hotel for 3 nights and 4 days. Our accommodation was already decided upon and booked as part of the terms of a Groupon discount myself and travel buddy purchased, however, there were no complaints here about not choosing our own hotel. It was actually quite relaxing knowing for once that we didn’t have to research a few hotels to find the best room, hotel and price compared to all the others.
We caught a short 10 minute cab to our hotel from the Cairns airport and were greeted with complimentary cookies (yum!) and bottle of champagne. We chose not to plan our holiday and booked everything we wanted to do through our hotel or on our own which worked out great for us.
- Location along the Esplanade is fantastic, close to everything but just enough distance away to not be disturbed by the hustle and bustle of the area
- Complimentary cookie upon arrival
- Spacious guest rooms with clean and comfortable bedding
- Complimentary beach towels
- Fitness Centre
- Large outdoor pool area with food and drinks available
- Hotel restaurant and bar relaxed, friendly and delicious
- Incredibly knowledgable concierge to help with all your tourist needs whilst staying in Cairns
- Breakfast buffet is extensive with items changing daily
- Television and work desk in room
- Wi-fi is only free in the lobby area
- The only printer in the hotel for guests was broken for a few days which was an inconvenience when we needed to print boarding passes for our flights (but this is more unlucky than a negative)
So the final verdict…
Despite not choosing this hotel ourselves, I can confidently say that I would happily return to this hotel and would have likely chosen it anyways. Friendly staff made for an enjoyable stay along with all of the hotels facilities and comfortable guest rooms. Despite there only being one restaurant on the hotel lot, it is of excellent quality and there are plenty of local restaurants nearby along The Esplanade for a bit more variety.
Stay at this hotel if you are wanting a good location along The Esplanade or are simply wanting a comfortable and memorable hotel stay.
Perhaps look for hotels elsewhere if you are staying with young children as there are no children’s facilities (e.g. kids club).
Overall, the DoubleTree by Hilton is definitely worth checking out when planning to visit Cairns. The location is a high asset to this hotel and almost makes staying here for that reason worth it alone. I’ll definitely be looking for this hotel chain in the future, purely based on our excellent stay here in Cairns.
**Global Whispers was upgraded to a Deluxe Double Queen room as per the t&c’s of the Groupon Promotion.
You’ll find the DoubleTree by Hilton Cairns at 121-123 The Esplanade, Cairns,Queensland, 4870, Australia.
All posts are by Global Whispers and are entirely my own opinions, views and experiences.