When researching hotels to stay in San Francisco, you are overwhelmed by choices, hotel types and locations. After narrowing down my search to the Union Square area and determining my price range, the Chancellor Hotel in Union Square was our pick and it was definitely a great choice!
So why do I recommend staying in this hotel whilst visiting San Francisco? Here’s why:-
Located in the heart of Union Square, the Chancellor hotel has been welcoming guests since 1914 and has worked their space into a fantastic hotel. Now I’ll tell you straight up, just like the hotel do, the rooms do not accommodate more than 2 people per room so keep this in mind when booking, however, the location, service and style of this hotel make it worth a stay.
- Location in Union Square is perfect. Right along the Powell Street cable car line, walking distance to popular shops and restaurants and a few streets away from Chinatown
- Complimentary coffee, tea, biscuits, iced lemon water and cookies available in the lobby area
- Front desk staff are very knowledgable of the area with great tips on where to eat locally
- Rooms include everything you would need including writing desk, small table and chairs, television and cupboard space
- Free wi-fi throughout the hotel and included in rooms
- Complimentary pillow menu for those who require something more than your standard hotel room pillow choices
- Cute little rubber ducky in every room for a quirky personal touch
- Due to the small rooms and space of the hotel, no more than 2 people can be accommodated per room
- Rooms also do not include air conditioning, however there are ceiling fans and large windows
- Again, the rooms are very small (or some would say cosy)
- Gym access is offsite which is a bit inconvenient, but is still included
This hotels location alone sells it, add the friendliness, cleanliness and convenience(ness to keep in trend 😉 ) this hotel will not disappoint. Global Whispers stayed on the 3rd floor on the street side of the building and whilst they provided ear plugs due to street noise, I found I didn’t need them at all as closing the window blocked out practically all noise.
You should book this hotel now if you’re after a cheap stay in a fantastic location, are staying as a couple, with a friend, solo or are willing to book multiple rooms for large groups and are after a hotel that has got a bit of character and history about it.
Perhaps look elsewhere to stay if you need to sleep with air-conditioning on or heating, are looking to stay as a family or group of friends in one room or are wanting access to a pool, gym area, spa or are looking for that extra bit of luxury.
Overall I do not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to spend part of or all of their stay in Union Square for a reasonable price and great visit.
Visit the Chancellor Hotel Union Square at 433 Powell Street, San Francisco, California 94102
All posts are by Global Whispers 2014 and are entirely my own opinions, views and experiences.