While usually my travel companions and myself prefer to stay in hotels with private rooms, sometimes, travel doesn’t go to plan. In 2012, due to unforeseen circumstance, our accommodation plans in London fell through… 2 days before departing Australia. Thanks to our amazing travel agent and my travel buddy’s mum, we were able to secure last-minute accommodation at the Clink 78 Hostel in Kings Cross, London for the 2 of us for 8 nights.
So what did I think about the Clink 78 Hostel?
The hostel building itself is fantastic. Originally being a court-house 200 years ago, Clink78 has kept the original architecture and setting, combining the court-house and modern hostel requirements to create a great looking hostel. With bright colours on the ceilings, famous (and not-so famous but equally cool) quotes on the walls and ceilings, Clink78 is modern and reflects the vibe of the backpackers staying within.
- Incredibly cheap stay with prices starting at as little as £12 per person per night in a mixed dorm
- Internet & PC room very convenient with many computers to use and strong wi-fi access
- TV & Media room is great to chill out
- Only a simple 10 minute walk away from the Kings Cross St. Pancreas Tube/Underground station
- Travel shop conveniently located inside the hostel to help with day trips, maps and getting around
- Free breakfast (yay!) however, don’t expect buffet style as its basic hostel breakfast (cereal, toast, coffee)
- Self-catering kitchen for when you don’t have the funds to eat out and want to cook something yourself
- The 3rd floor gets incredibly hot with no air conditioning or fans and up to 16 people in one mixed room
- Elevator was sketchy – only used it when moving luggage
- Communal bathroom showers were a push for water system which never let you adjust the temperature (more often than not my shower went from freezing cold to scorching hot in the space of 2 minutes)
- Only a few washing machines and dryers between up to 500 backpackers and hostel goers is a struggle
So the final verdict on Clink 78 Hostel…
Global Whispers stayed in a 16 person mixed dorm on the 3rd floor (due to the last-minute rushed booking). This was the first hostel I ever stayed in and first time in a mixed dorm (that was a whole new, stinky experience).
I’d definitely recommend this hostel for those on a tight budget who aren’t opposed to staying in a hostel in same-sex or mixed dorms. It’s also great for those who want to meet new people from all over the globe with staff and guests from many different countries and new foreign hostel guests checking in and out everyday. If you’re only planning a short visit this hostel is also great for the price.
Avoid this hostel if you really value your personal space and own bathroom unless you book a private room, travelling with children/family as it is a youth hostel so there is plenty of partying, noise and hungover guests around and if you’re looking for luxury, after all it claims to be a basic, youth, budget hostel.
Overall, the hostel was great for what we paid for. It’s not luxury, but it saved us a lot of money and was an experience in itself staying here.
Visit Clink78 Hostel to see for yourself – 78 King’s Cross Road, London WC1X 9QG, UK
All posts are by GlobalWhispers2014 and are entirely my own opinions, views and experiences.